Find Help Through Our Referral Program
The Safe Haven Referral Program is designed to place the pets of domestic violence victims in safe, temporary shelters or foster homes while their owners are staying in domestic violence shelters. This is accomplished through partnerships with animal shelters and foster networks in the area that operate their own emergency boarding programs. The Safe Haven Referral Program provides a consolidated application to all of these programs to save the client’s time and energy.
- Applications for the Safe Haven Referral Program are ONLY accepted from domestic violence advocates. An advocate must contact The Safe Haven Network on behalf of the victim.
- If you are not currently working with a domestic violence advocate, call the Illinois Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-877-TO END DV (1-877-863-6338) (Voice) or 1-877-863-6339 (TTY).
- The Safe Haven Referral Program is designed for stays of 30 days or less. While some partner animal shelters may accommodate a short extension on a case-by-case basis, 30 days is the standard maximum stay.
- The Safe Haven Network currently does NOT have the resources to assist with transportation or other aspects of getting pets to the shelters. It is the responsibility of the advocate and the client to arrange the pet’s entry into the shelter’s temporary boarding program.
- It is the client’s responsibility to adhere to the rules and procedures of the animal shelter’s emergency boarding program. These are different for each shelter and should be reviewed with the chosen animal shelter.
To request assistance, click the button below.
The information you submit will be posted to the Advocate Portal, and a domestic violence advocate will contact you to complete your application.